The department strives to foster within students a love of Science.
We aim to:
- Excite and enthuse children with a sense of awe and wonder at the natural world.
- Develop an appreciation of how science has contributed to the historical and cultural development of our society.
- Give practical experience of how scientists make observations of the natural world,
come up with hypotheses and carry out experiments to obtain evidence to support
or disprove these hypotheses.
- Cause children to understand the importance of evidence when making decisions
and to be able to judge whether the claims of the media, advertisers, politicians,
journalists, etc. are evidence- based and reliable.
- Give students enough evidence-based knowledge to be able to make informed
personal judgements in order to lead healthy, safe, comfortable and environmentally sustainable lives.
- Develop awareness of the conclusions of important scientific theories in a concrete
and accessible way.
Staff – Post and Qualifications and contact details
The Science Department is made up of fifteen experienced specialist members of staff, ably supported by three Laboratory Technicians.
There are eight well-equipped Science Laboratories which are shared between all members of the department. We are a supportive, enthusiastic, caring department and we believe strongly in the team ethic.
Head of Biology / Deputy Science Second in Department (Primary Liaison Co-ordinator) (Maternity Leave): Kate Barker
Lead Practitioner / Deputy Science Second in Department (Lead on Teaching & Learning KS4 & Support KS3): Abul Ali
Lead Practitioner / Deputy Science Second in Department (Lead on Teaching & Learning and Support KS4): Mitali Roy
Deputy Science Second in Department (Assessment and Attainment KS3): April King
Head of Chemistry (Resourcing KS3 & 4 and Teaching & Learning KS5): Shamila Sahall
Head of Physics (Resourcing KS3 & 4 and Teaching & Learning KS5): Kamlesh Pithia
Physics Chair (NQT): Hok Man Tang
Science (Physics) Teacher: Tom Bishop
Science Teacher (BTEC, Leading KS4 & KS5): Alia Shaikh
Science Teacher (Biology, Resourcing KS3 & KS4 and Teaching & Learning KS5): Sophie Davidson
Science (Chemistry) Teacher: Shadie Kanj
Science Teacher: Ruth Sandler
Science Teacher (Nurture/SEND) / Director of Learning: Jennifer Copestake
Lead Science Technician: Lisa Man
Science Technician: James Caturani
Science Technician: Marlene Attard
100% A*-B in Biology
100% A*-B in Physics
94% A*-C in Chemistry